Saturday, January 4, 2014

Manhattan

10:15 ECT
Having landed today at about half past one in the afternoon, it took me almost two hours to go through airport security checks et cetera. Then, only minutes after the building had released me into an incredibly sunny and refreshingly cold and clear day, I was able to see the glittering skyline of Manhattan on the distant west-northwestern horizon. That was, somewhat contrary to my former expectations, an already quite impressive moment. More than the English language that had already surrounded me at the airport, and more than visa and customs controls, it was this sight that made me realize that I was indeed standing on American soil. The subway ride was long and dull as expected but when I ascended the stairs of 88th Street, leaving the underground and looking right up ahead at snowy Central Park, standing amidst house fronts that I had previously seen almost exclusively on the Cosby Show, I knew I'd have a good weekend.
My hostel is good (except for missing wifi, that's why this post comes late), I had a good grilled cheese sandwich for dinner (with the best pickle on the side i've ever eaten in my entire life!), and I even saw a quite decent comedian at Stand Up NY (for free; I sneaked in). For the next two days, I plan to visit at least one museum (probably the Museum of the City of New York), to have a walk in the park, to ride the Staten Island Ferry, and to see the Village and Coney Island. Stay tuned!
8:50 ECT
Free wifi in Battery Park on the southern tip of Manhattan! Taking the Staten Island ferry now.

2 comments:

  1. Sneaking in? Woah, you're so bad. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D You wish! I admit it was not me being badass, it was the club's mistake not to check that guy who just walks in from the street and goes into the show room without asking to be seated. So he sits down, does not even have to order the two minimum drinks because no one notices him, he enjoys the 20min rest of the show, and then leaves. And that's how it's done :)

    ReplyDelete