Saturday, July 19, 2014

Facing Loneliness and Buffalo

You're almost through! This is the last post about my weekend in the Badlands and the Black Hills in South Dakota. Missed the previous posts? Read Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4.

If you want to listen to some music while reading, I recommend the following three songs. They're a part of this post later on.


Having spent the previous night on a campground with a young couple plus puppy in a tent close to me and an older couple in an RV farther down on the adjacent parking lot, I was looking for a bit more solitude again for my last night in South Dakota. Therefore, I had decided on exploring the Badlands’ Stronghold Unit this time. Studying the map, I had noticed that, in contrast to the North Unit, this southern part was absolutely empty. While the former is basically only two strips of stunningly beautiful rock formations to the left and right of the Badlands Loop Road plus the Wilderness Area (where, because of the name, I wasn’t so sure I should pitch a tent…), the Stronghold Unit is only tangentially touched by roads. In between, some 300 square miles or so of open land. Which is—say what you will—fascinating.

When I arrived in the small ‘town’ of Scenic (What you see on the photos following this link is basically all there is, minus the people. On a late overcast afternoon, it was eerie.), I followed the Bombing Range Road southward. This ride might have been the first time I ever felt lonely just because of the landscape that surrounded me. The area wasn’t that different from the North Unit that I had seen and camped in two days prior, but something in me turned it into a very different experience. 
Or maybe it was the exterior, the gloomy late afternoon atmosphere due to the cloudy sky, the sheer expanse of land in all directions without any sign of life, and the land’s general barrenness. Still, I was optimistic about parking my car at the White River Visitor Center and then hiking out until dusk to pitch my tent somewhere. That is, somewhere not too low or too high because the weather forecast announced a 50% chance of thunder storms for that night. 
In that case, you don’t wanna camp on a mountaintop and serve as a lightning rod, but you also don’t wanna be wrested away by a flash flood in a low area. Whatever, I would find a good place. So after twenty very long and lonely miles, I arrived at the visitor center which was, as I had read earlier, still closed. But that wasn’t the problem. What made me really grumpy was the sign that read “No Camping Anywhere.”
I suppose this restriction is due to the fact that the Stronghold Unit is situated within the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, but I don’t know for sure. The website clearly stated that camping is allowed anywhere as long as it is at least one mile away from the road. But apparently not here. So grumpy Carlo gets back into the car, drives the overwhelmingly lonely twenty miles back into the eerie ghost town and then turns right onto a thirteen and a half mile gravel road that leads to the Sage Creek Campground in the North Unit. Turns out that this wasn’t so bad after all.

The campground lies in a big open valley that is framed by hills on three sides and opens up to the prairie to the south. And although there were many campers here in RVs and tents, I was okay with the place because it was not much more than a small toilet building and a turning loop in the road. And, to my big surprise, four buffalo stood very close on a slope of the big western hill. This was the first time ever I saw buffalo in their natural habitat. And it was a contradictory presentation of that weighted term ‘wilderness’—I had never imagined the great American bison being as tame as to idle less than two hundred feet away from humans in the open range. I don’t think it’s bad; it’s just another instance where you feel tricked by countless cultural representations that have now been falsified by firsthand experience. Anyway, these four huge black bison were impressive creatures. And they wouldn’t be the last I’d encounter today.

After putting up my tent at what I interpreted as the campground’s periphery (there were no fences or anything, so I just went a little bit farther out than anyone else), I packed lightly and set out for a last little eastward hike through small patches of trees, then crossing the Sage Creek’s South Fork at a shallow spot—the water coppery in color, murky, and milky from the eroded sediments dissolved in it—and then traversing another stretch of prairie where I found hoof prints
bigger than the palm of my hand, pressed deep into the soil by an animal that might weigh up to a ton. I saw dark brown balls of fur shed by another or the very same bison, and I spotted a hole in the ground that probably marked the entrance of a prairie dog tunnel. Further on, I ascended one of the dozens of small hills, its top bare sandstone, torn open mosaic-like by the rain water it had once soaked in that was then drenched out of it again by the sun, making this hill appear like a mound formed of millions of potsherds. I’d planned to sit down and have dinner here, but I spotted another hill which I just had to climb, the highest in the vicinity, and with barely any vegetation on its slopes, looking like a huge pile of sand.


I scrambled up the side and sat down, facing eastward towards a landscape of great beauty. The pictures I took fail badly at recreating the impression that being in the place itself prompted in me. These photographs only hint at the actual extent of the land that stretches for miles in gentle waves of green, spotted with dark patches of shrubs, the bare ground showing through every now and then, until they are broken in the distance by the great sandstone cliff that is the ‘wall’ of the Badlands. 
The photos do not capture the soundscape that is, of course, just as important to the emotional response as the optical stimuli of a place. Imagine the crickets in the grass and the birds in the bushes, especially this one bird close by whose warbling made me look repeatedly for a creek below my feet because it sounded exactly like water dabbling over pebbles or a little fish jumping. (Yes, I was tricked by a bird!) Add to this the occasional bleating of a distant bighorn sheep and the mournful howling of at least three packs of coyotes scattered not too far away somewhere to the north. The only animals visible were the ones that didn’t care about making themselves heard; two small groups of buffalo stood complacently and peacefully in the distant northeastern grasslands. The air odorless and calm all the time.

Having finished the last of my tasty bread for dinner, I decided to go back to camp and read. It was half past seven, twilight was about to break, and the scenery couldn’t get any more beautiful, anyway. Or so I thought. Taking a small detour on my way back in order to avoid a buffalo, I walked along the hill’s ridge this time, and found not only a huge gnawed-off bone, but also a scared porcupine hiding under a conifer’s fallen branches.
I quickly left it in peace and then spotted a lonely camper sitting on a hillside, the tent some feet away, partly hidden in the shrubbery. She was just sitting there overlooking the country, and I considered walking over to say hi, but then decided against it. She probably had a reason for not staying on the campground. So I trudged on through the grass to my tent and, as soon as I was there, knew that I couldn’t turn in yet. There was another high hill to the campground’s northwestern side, and the day was still brighter than I had estimated.
I walked up the slope on grass and debris, carefully avoiding the cacti that grew in spots, and found myself on another hilltop overlooking the surrounding country, the same great sea of rolling green hills that I had marveled at earlier. However, I was not at all expecting the beautiful sunrise I would witness here for the next one and a half hours. It’s of little to no avail to try and describe the sunset in words; all the shades of yellow, rose, orange, and purple that tinged the sky and clouds, the fiery glow of the great sandstone wall on the eastern horizon.

Here, the photos might do a better job than an amateur blogger’s vocabulary. In addition, you should absolutely listen to three of the songs I played then—if you’re not already listening to them as you should. The Fleet Foxes' "The Plains/Bitter Dancer” is fitting for obvious reasons. I think that folk and folky music is generally the best choice for augmenting an experience in nature. One of my all-time favorites on Helplessness Blues (like almost every song on this exceptional album), this particular song has gained a new relevance for me that evening. 
Especially that double track’s second part that begins around 4:08 was the perfect acoustic complement to that scene. Next on our list, James Vincent McMorrow's “And if My Heart Should Somehow Stop.” Another great song on an exceptional album, Early in the Morning. I love the chorus’s “And in the forest I make my home/Lay down my heart on ancient stone.” But it’s more in the chords and harmonies, too elusive to put into words; this piece to me evokes a close connection to, and a longing for nature.
With the last song, it’s purely musical, not related to the content of the lyrics, and thus even harder to explain. “Cautioners” from Jimmy Eat World’s 2001 classic Bleed American, an album I’ve heard over and over again for over a decade by a band I’ve fallen in love with since I first heard said album. “Cautioners” took a little while to get me, but those songs are often the real gems on a record. I don’t exactly know why I chose to play this song sitting on the hill and watching the sunset, but it worked. It might seem odd in the beginning when you just hear that minimalistic drum loop and guitar dominated by the staccato bass (not so slightly reminiscent of the Knight Rider theme!). But when the piano sets in for the chorus and Jim Adkins sings, with his heartbroken voice, these unrelated but heartbreaking words:


You’ll change your mind come Monday
And turn your back on me
You’ll take your steps away with hesitance
And take your steps away from me


you should get it. And then the bridge after the second chorus! Beyond words. Of course, I didn’t listen to music all the time. Silence has to be cherished where it is found.

The sun still painted the clouds that were sailing across the sky’s vast expanse in a thousand shades of pink and rose, giving them a depth that is hidden in normal daylight. Some acquired fantastic shapes, and in one I saw a giant pig running slowly across the sky until it dissolved its form. As the last rays of the sun had disappeared in the west, I descended the hill in the dark and got into my tent, this time for good. A wind had come up that was now rattling and shaking my tent in sudden gusts so that it took me a while to fall asleep.














On Monday morning, I woke up early again. It was around seven, and I had planned nine hours for the way back home, plus an hour for anything unexpected. I packed my belongings, dumped the damp sleeping bag and tent in the trunk, and left the campground, ready to get back on the road. But then, not even half a mile from where I started, right where the gravel road makes a bend around my sunset hill from last night, I had to stop the car. Less than a hundred feet in front of me, a buffalo was blocking my wayIt just stood there, right on the road, mocking me with its utter disregard. It didn’t even do anything. It didn’t eat, it didn’t chew, it didn’t observe.
What to do?
I waited, but after some time I realized that this strategy wouldn’t pay off.
I moved the car closer, very slowly, up to fifty feet, so that I finally got a reaction.
It was turning its head to look at me for a moment.
I stopped.
It looked away again into the void, slipping back into buffalo standby.
Should I honk? Would that provoke the creature to start for me and trample the car?
Would that encourage its friend lying in the grass to get up and get mad?
Would my insurance cover buffalo damage?
Didn’t wanna risk it.
So again, a little bit closer.
Revving the engine a bit.
A look, nothing more.
But then! A step to the side!
Not enough yet, still blocking my way.
A bit closer again, now at less than thirty feet.
Another hesitant step to the side made me bold.
Closer, slowly.
Now two steps to the side, but still not quite giving up the road.
Now or never; it looked like I would have enough room between the animal and the car.
I drove by. Slow but steady was the way to go.
The buffalo looked bored.

Later, I passed hundreds of prairie dogs who were standing guard and eating and exploring on the vast grassland to the right of the road. Then, at a scenic outlook, there was a buffalo bull scratching his itchy hindquarters on a pole. Not so majestic.





He seemed embarrassed and slightly irritated when he noticed me. He gave me a look that said I better back off. I thought I’d better do as the bull suggested.









No comments:

Post a Comment