Sunday, April 27, 2014

Animal House

Thinking
Okay, first of all, you should check out the movie that this post's title is based upon. Animal House is probably the mother of the entire college movie genre; American Pie and so on.

But our house is literally an animal house. Cats, deer, birds, squirrels. Everyone loves it here.

Boxing
Ever since I met her in January, I've intended to dedicate a blog post to Natalie's cat Sumaya. Sumaya is probably the softest thing in the world. A cat that consists of 80% fur and 20% body. Approximately. She's easy going; she's fine with being stroked, being held upside down, being picked up and carried around the house, or with just sitting in a box or a bag, thus entertaining us like nothing else ever could. Everything Sumaya does is cute. And we're pretty sure she's aware of that. She can become a little aggressive when she's hungry.

Checking the Oven Drawer
Every time I'm not sure if Nat has fed her yet or not, she meows to me and walks around my legs and tells me how hungry she is. That might go for about five minutes or so, and then comes the point when she strikes your leg, first with the right, then the left front paw, and then tries to bite through your pants, and then she just looks at you again. Meowing. Luckily, that never happened to me when I wore shorts. She also likes to leave the house. Our house does not have the best doors. Sometimes, a gust of wind is enough to open our front, side, 
or kitchen door. Mostly, Sumie just sits next to it and stares outside. But very often, too, she runs outside if we are not quick enough to close the door. Then she hides under our porch or a car, runs onto the neighbors' premises, or, as just yesterday, she just climbs in through an open basement window. This morning, I didn't even realize she was out until she knocked on our living room's screen door, meowing, begging to be let in. But, aside from all of that, I think the selection of pictures here will convince you most effectively of Sumaya's undeniable greatness.

Then there's the deer gang. At least four of them, but sometimes only individuals show up in our back yard. Eating leaves from the branches, or just hangin' out. I think they're almost considered a plague in some parts of Athens and by some citizens. It's probably true, but they are still pretty beautiful. I grew up in a pretty rural area, but I never lived as close to supposedly wild animals as here in Athens.

We also have at least three feral cats sharing our basement and backyard. There's a hole into the basement (or, one that I know of; there's probably more) that has granted those felines access to our basement since winter. We've heard them a couple of times, and Sumaya is often incredibly excited for no apparent reason, running from the kitchen to the living room, jumping onto the couch, and then back into the kitchen. I think that can only mean she's sensed her colleagues downstairs, and then tries to do something about it. Cat logic. One of those cats has recently spent some time behind our house with the deers. Looks like they were on friendly terms. All enjoying the sun.


See the Squirrel?
The squirrel and the blackbird share an apartment complex in our house's southern outside wall. There's a little porch, and a pretty big hole on the porch roof's underside. That's their front door and their access into the wall. I've seen the squirrel once or twice, and I've heard it move inside the wall almost every other day or so. And Sumaya knows about him, too. She's spent hours sitting before that wall waiting for the squirrel to move, trying to pound the wall so he would come out, or whatever Sumaya has thought might happen if she raps against that wall. The blackbird, I only know it from hearsay. Sophia's seen it fly in there twice. I wonder how the two of them get along.




















Yesterday, I discovered what we first thought would be a spider's nest in the undergrowth behind our house (which, THANK GOODNESS!!! it was not) to be a caterpillar or butterfly larvae nest. I've been incredibly fascinated with its intricate structure since day one; it's located right at the intersection of three or four branches for maximum stability, and it's made all out of this fabric that looks like a spider's thread or silk. Fascinating and beautiful as long as it's at a decent distance to my body. Anyway, I've realized it's not a spider's nest when I saw dozens of little black larvae/caterpillars crawling around on its surface. Below this outer surface, I could see another one on which even more larvae/caterpillars were sitting, these ones less active, so they were probably in an earlier stage of their development. I guess. Disgusting, fascinating, compelling. 














Bart



And then, there's Bart!!! I introduced him in the last post. Rosa's parakeet, almost abandoned, but then saved. She brought him over again today and told us that his name is Bart now. We can only assume his sex, though. Blood tests are expensive. Anyway, he was here again today, in his makeshift D.I.Y. habitat, in our backyard with all of us. He still looked pretty insecure and somewhat scared in the beginning, but then started climbing the branches in his box to the top crossbeam, and then pulled his little self up the wall with his little beak, then grabbing the ledge with his little claws, and then jumping and fluttering down onto the grass where  I watched over him, pretty successfully once or twice, but not the third time.
He ran right into a thick bush, and I had to crawl after him through some rough twigs and thorns, and finally got him back into his box. My most heroic deed in Athens so far. For my boy. He seemed happier then than in the beginning, chirping around a bit, even scolding at me every now and then for letting him walk upon my hands instead of back into the bush. Sumaya also had a look at him, but seemed only mildly interested. Probably because he didn't do too much at that moment. Bart's now in another apartment, but Rosa wants to bring him back for a visit on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment